Expanding Foam Insulation | Fire Resistant Foam Insulation

Expanding Foam Insulation

Expanding Foam Insulation info, tips, and resources

Fire Resistant Foam Insulation

Fire resistant foam insulation contains fire retardant, and some are specifically formulated for fire resistant use.  If you need a fire resistant foam for insulation, be sure to choose one specifically marketed as such.  These products possess a higher degree of fire resistance than standard foam insulation.

Fire Resistant Applications include :
- fire resistant installation of window and door frames
- fire and smoke resistant sealing of connections between walls, ceilings and floors
- sealing of all openings in roof constructions
- sealing of cable and pipe penetrations in walls
- improving thermal insulation in heating and cooling systems

Soudal makes a fire proofing single component PU Foam with non-hazardous propellant and high adhesion to many building materials. SOUDAFOAM FR with CFC-free propellant is a one-component, self expanding, ready to use polyurethane foam with propellants which are completely harmless to the ozone layer. It has a fire rating of up to 229 minutes (4 hours) according to the new European Norm CE 1366-4.

Touch ‘n Seal makes foam sealant and insulating products that contain fire retardants. These foams are intended to resist flaming, and slow flame spread.  However, they cannot stop a fire from spreading indefinitely. Touch ‘n Seal foam is flammable and a fire hazard during dispensing. Do not use around fire or flame, and be sure to extinguish all pilot lights in the area.

ELCH PRO Fire Rated group contains four specialized products for domestic and commercial building applications. FR Silicone and FR Intumescent Acrylic sealants are both tested to BS 476:part 20 and fire rated to 4 hours. FR Acoustic Sealant is also sound tested to a value of 55dBA and is supplied in large volume packs. FR Polyurethane B1 Foam is fire rated between firm, mineral construction substrates and in this application meets the requirements of building material class B1 according to DIN 4102 part 1.

Froth-Pak, although combustible, has a European Class B2 or new Class E fire rating which is equivalent to BS EN11925-2, making it difficult to ignite. The foam’s low thermal conductivity makes it approximately twice as effective as an insulation material as other forms of insulation such as glass fiber, expanded polystyrene and mineral wool.

Dow Chemical Froth-Pak Spray Foam

There are several manufacturers of fire resistant foam insulation products. Be sure to check their fire retardant properties and fire rating specifications so that they suit your purpose.

Tags: Installation · Roof · Spray · Walls

16 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Brian // Jul 18, 2011 at 1:12 am

    Hi. I am in Australia and am looking at your fire rated foam kits. Can you deliver two kits to Sydney Australia and if so what would the cost be?

  • 2 admin // Jul 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

    Hi Brian,
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    You may be referring to this spray foam pak, which is available to order online.
    Click this link for details: http://expandingfoaminsulationguide.com/go/DowSprayFoamPak/
    The current price and shipping can be found there also.

  • 3 Karen // Jul 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

    Would fire resistant foam be suitable to seal and fix a cast iron fire surround to the wall. It wouldn’t be in direct contact with the fire but close by. If so could you recommend a reliable brand.

  • 4 admin // Jul 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

    Hi Karen,
    I not quite sure what you have in mind, but a fire resistant foam might meet your needs. Here is one possibility:
    Dap 44242 Fireblock Foam Sealant
    but don’t use it if you need to meet any applicable local fire codes. It is bright orange coloured.
    Another choice could be to use a high temperature adhesive such as:
    CarGo 8024 ThermoSteel High-Temp Metal Repair
    or something like this:
    Nomex High Heat Gasket with Adhesive

  • 5 Julie // Dec 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

    Hi, it appears my fireplace has shifted and there is now a big gap between it and my house letting cold air in the my den. I’m looking for a fire resistant expanding foam to fill it without being too visibly noticable or unappealing. Any suggestions?


  • 6 admin // Dec 5, 2011 at 3:04 pm

    Hi Julie,

    Thank you for your inquiry. You may be able to fill the gap with expanding foam if the temperature gradient is not too high.

    A possible product for you could be:

    Touch ‘n Foam Firebreak Sealant

    This product is bright orange but can be covered with caulk or paint.

    A lower temperature expanding foam insulation with fire retardant is:

    Kwik Foam Polyurethane Sealant

    Check your local building code to ensure compliance.

  • 7 Colin Williston // Dec 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

    I have some older commercial buildings, that are 2-3 storeys, and I am interested in renovating the second/third floor to make appartments. Currently there is no fire separation requirement between floor, as they are all office/retail, however in order to build appts on upper floors, I will need somewhere between 1-2 hrs fire separation. Can you recommend a product that I could spray above a t-bar ceiling of a finnished space, to help get the fire separation I need. Dismantling existing ceilings in finnished, occupied space to install type X drywall is not a probable option. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks. Colin

  • 8 admin // Dec 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm

    Hi Colin,
    Your question would be best answered by your local building department and a consulting engineer.
    The Spray Foam Frothpak mentioned has Class 1 fire rating, but 1-2 hours will depend on the total construction assembly of ceiling, floor and floor covering.
    There is not a coating that creates an hour rating. It depends on the complete assembly.
    Check with the the building department first as he may have an easy solution that satisfies codes, or refer you to an engineer with the appropriate expertise.

  • 9 John // Dec 27, 2011 at 5:19 pm


    I am looking to fill a hole I made to vent a 400,000 btu tankless water heater. I used category 3 stainless for venting as per code. Now I need some form of expansion foam to fill the cracks, that is capable of withstanding the high heat the duct will give off. Suggestions?

  • 10 admin // Dec 28, 2011 at 10:35 am

    The vent should be double-walled to reduce heat transfer. You could insulate or seal the penetration gap with fiberglass and/or heat resistant expanding foam, such as Touch ‘n Foam Firebreak Sealant

  • 11 Derik Snyman // Apr 10, 2012 at 12:55 am

    I need a fire resistant foam to inject in a fire sliding door’s core. 2 x 2,5 meter construction 150 x 50 x 20 x2 lipped channel and clad with 1.2mm galvanized steel plate. Please advise and is it available in Pretoria, South Africa.

  • 12 admin // Apr 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

    Hi Derik,
    I’m not sure what would be the best solution for your project. Fire rated doors are usually custom built and independently tested for regional code compliance. I recommend that you check locally for your requirements.

  • 13 Kristen // Feb 11, 2014 at 3:33 am

    I wanted to fill gaps between my floor and walls however I have base board heating about an inch above where I wanted to use the spray foam and the piping actually goes into the floor at certain points. 1-will the heat from the base board be ok to the foam with 2- if it surrounded the copper pipe would it damage the pipe or catch the spray foam on fire?

  • 14 admin // Feb 12, 2014 at 11:37 am

    Hi Kristen,
    Yes, expanding foam around the pipe will be OK with the heat, and copper will be unaffected by the foam. This is an ideal application for filling any voids around the pipework and wall or floor penetrations. Expanding foam around a heating pipe will also reduce transmission of noise from the pipe expansion and contraction during on/off cycles.

  • 15 Susan Miller // Jun 10, 2014 at 2:32 am

    I am interested in purchasing a 10k foot building(a two story box). To occupy, the building structural, load bearing assemblies must be 1 hour rated. The building is brick, but the construction (trusses, walls, beams, 2nd floor) are wood. Is there any product that could be used to make this building compliant?

  • 16 admin // Jun 10, 2014 at 7:32 am

    That’s a big question! As far as expanding foam insulation products are concerned I can not recommend a spray-on foam to provide a fire rating.
    I suggest you find a structural or consulting engineer to inspect the building and advise you of your choices.

Leave a Comment